Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr. Liu has over ten years of research, design, and industry experience in HVAC engineering. He has seven years of experience in implementation and management of continuous commissioning and retro-commissioning projects. He also has published 16 journal and peer-reviewed conference papers. Many of his publications are focused on new building technology development, HVAC system optimization, and continuous commissioning case study. He has conducted the energy audit and preliminary assessment for more than 70 facilities including office, education facilities, clean room, lab, and manufacturing plants. He has led many projects with new technologies implementation and achieved significant energy savings already
Before joining PNNL in 2010, Dr. Liu worked as director of engineering in BES-Tech Inc. He has extensive experience on energy audit and management of retro-commissioning project for large commercial buildings.
- Building commissioning/retuning/retro-commissioning on existing buildings
- Develop new building energy efficiency technology
- Develop tools and methods of HVAC control optimization
- Building system optimization and fault detection
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- B.Eng. in HVAC Engineering, Hunan University
- Registered professional mechanical engineer (PE) in Texas and LEED accredited professional
- Zhang J, RG Lutes, G Liu, and MR Brambley. 2013. Energy Savings for Occupancy-Based Control (OBC) of Variable-Air-Volume (VAV) Systems. PNNL-22072, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Fernandez N, S Katipamula, W Wang, Y Huang, and G Liu. 2012. Energy Savings Modeling of Standard Commercial Building Re-tuning Measures: Large Office Buildings. PNNL-21569, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Liu G, AR Dasu, and J Zhang. 2012. Review of Literature on Terminal Box Control, Occupancy Sensing Technology and Multi-zone Demand Control Ventilation (DCV). PNNL-21281, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Wang W, J Zhang, D Moser, G Liu, RA Athalye, and B Liu. 2012. "Energy and Cost Savings of Retro-Commissioning and Retrofit Measures for Large Office Buildings." In Fifth National Conference of IBPSA-USA (SimBuild 2012), August 1-3, 2012, Madison, Wisconsin. International Building Performance Simulation Association, New York, NY.
- Liu G, B Liu, J Zhang, W Wang, RA Athalye, D Moser, E Crowe, N Bengtson, M Effinger, L Webster, and M Hatten. 2011. Advanced Energy Retrofit Guide Retail Buildings. PNNL-20814, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Liu G, B Liu, W Wang, J Zhang, RA Athalye, D Moser, E Crowe, N Bengtson, M Effinger, L Webster, and M Hatten. 2011. Advanced Energy Retrofit Guide Office Buildings. PNNL-20761, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.