Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr. Liu currently is a senior building control research engineer in the Building Energy Systems (BES) Group within Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) Energy & Environment Directorate. He joined PNNL for the building retuning outreach projects. Guopeng’s primary duties include buildings/energy research, development and demonstration of building HVAC controls, automated fault detection and diagnostics, building energy management, advances in building system operation and maintenance, commissioning of building systems and advanced controller development. Many of his publications are focused on advanced building control technology. One of the research projects, occupancy based control, was featured in Science Magazine (19 July 2013). Before joining PNNL in 2010, Dr. Liu worked as director of engineering in BES-Tech Inc. He also has four-year mechanical system design experience in HVAC system design at Beijing Institute of Nuclear Engineering (BINE). He holds Texas Professional Engineer (PE) license and Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) accredited professional.
- Advanced building control
- Automated Fault Detection & Diagnostics
- Retro-commissioning/retuning existing buildings
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- B.Eng. in HVAC Engineering, Hunan University
- Registered professional mechanical engineer (PE) in Texas and LEED accredited professional
- Zhang J, RG Lutes, G Liu, and MR Brambley. 2013. Energy Savings for Occupancy-Based Control (OBC) of Variable-Air-Volume (VAV) Systems. PNNL-22072, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Fernandez N, S Katipamula, W Wang, Y Huang, and G Liu. 2012. Energy Savings Modeling of Standard Commercial Building Re-tuning Measures: Large Office Buildings. PNNL-21569, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Liu G, AR Dasu, and J Zhang. 2012. Review of Literature on Terminal Box Control, Occupancy Sensing Technology and Multi-zone Demand Control Ventilation (DCV). PNNL-21281, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Wang W, J Zhang, D Moser, G Liu, RA Athalye, and B Liu. 2012. "Energy and Cost Savings of Retro-Commissioning and Retrofit Measures for Large Office Buildings." In Fifth National Conference of IBPSA-USA (SimBuild 2012), August 1-3, 2012, Madison, Wisconsin. International Building Performance Simulation Association, New York, NY.
- Liu G, B Liu, J Zhang, W Wang, RA Athalye, D Moser, E Crowe, N Bengtson, M Effinger, L Webster, and M Hatten. 2011. Advanced Energy Retrofit Guide Retail Buildings. PNNL-20814, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Liu G, B Liu, W Wang, J Zhang, RA Athalye, D Moser, E Crowe, N Bengtson, M Effinger, L Webster, and M Hatten. 2011. Advanced Energy Retrofit Guide Office Buildings. PNNL-20761, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.